DeWalt is the leading manufacturer of professional-grade power tools, used by carpenters, electricians and construction workers the world over. DeWalt produces over 200 power hand-tools and an impressive 800 different accessories in all. We now review the DEWALT DW660 Cut-Out 5 Amp Rotary Tool.
The DEWALT DW660 Rotary Tool is a great tool for those who work with drywall, tile, acoustical tile or anything else of the sort. It works well for deep, precise cuts in thicker material. Perhaps the best thing about this model (and certainly the one thing that owners reviewing the product all seem to agree upon as being one of the DW660’s most notable characteristics) is the fact that it has a tool-free bit changing system. Being able to switch bits in and out without needing a wrench might seem like a minor detail, but when you’re working with drywall, cutting large, thick pieces out, the ability to change bits without having to move from your standing position is a very helpful benefit.
Aside from this, the On/Off switch and the motor are both sealed tight, so that no matter how much you work, no amount of sawdust or any other stray materials will ever cause them damage. An excellent trait for a rotary tool in this category to have, since you will no doubt be spending many hours with the DW660, and require it to be as protected as it can be from any debris.
- Extremely durable; built for professional usage.
- 5-amp motor is the strongest yet for a cutout tool. Lots of power.
- Sealed On/Off switch and motor. This unit is easy to turn off. But the turn on button is recessed as a safety feature. Nice touch.
- Features a enclosed dust protected engine. Unit does not blow the dust straight into your eyes like some routers do (a.k.a. some Dremels)
- Switching out rotary bits is pretty easy and fast with the keyless chuck.
- Not exactly a necessary purchase for non-professionals simply looking for a decent hand held rotary tool.
- Likely to overheat when used for extended periods of time.
- Bulky and heavy in comparison to other electric rotary tools.
- Does not feel as durable as Dremel rotary tools, longevity is a question mark.
Overall, while it may be slightly excessive choice for the craftsperson, the DEWALT DW660 Rotary Tool is a recommended choice for the construction professional and home improvement enthusiast. The 5-amp motor is the most powerful of its kind for rotary power tools, meaning that it’s built to withstand long periods of time and buckle under plenty of force. For the price, this is definitely a good deal.