Best Laser Level in 2020 | Expert’s Guide and Reviews
Are you looking for the best laser level ever? Forget the hardships of putting up picture frames in a straight line with the help of a nail and a hammer as laser levels have come up as a perfect substitution. With a laser level, visible straight lines can be shot across a floor or a wall that will let you get pinpoint measurements for DIY or outdoor projects. It all depends on the type of work that a laser level should be chosen as there are various types meant for various purposes.
As far as the history of laser level goes, it was Steve Orosz in 1996 when he invented the light beam leveling technology. This invention was meant for applications related to cardiac monitoring. In fact, the use of laser levels was dominant in the field of civil engineering as well as for big construction projects for years. Today, a laser level is used for numerous applications and also counted among the essential tools for carpenters and construction workers. Here are the top 7 Best Laser Levels that will definitely make your life easy:
Top Rated Laser Level Comparison Chart
- 1 Top Rated Laser Level Comparison Chart
- 2 Top 7 Best Selling Laser Level Reviews
- 2.1 DEWALT DW088K Self-Leveling Cross Line Laser
- 2.2 DEWALT DW089K Self-Leveling 3-Beam Line Laser
- 2.3 PLS180 Red Cross Line Laser Level
- 2.4 Compact Self-Leveling Cross Line Laser with Clamp
- 2.5 BOSCH GTL3 PROFESSIONAL TILE LASER
- 2.6 DEWALT DW089LG 12V MAX 3 X 360 LINE LASER, GREEN
- 2.7 BOSCH GLL 2 SELF-LEVELING CROSS-LINE LASER LEVEL WITH MOUNT
- 3 TYPES OF LASER LEVEL
- 4 THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING THE BEST LASER LEVEL
- 5 CONCLUSION
Top 7 Best Selling Laser Level Reviews
DEWALT DW088K Self-Leveling Cross Line Laser
Installing a wall tile or a floor will now be done with minimal effort by taking help of this self-leveling cross line laser from the house of Dewalt. Be it commercial or residential applications, Dewalt DW088K does a commendable job at job sites by projecting a bright crisscross of vertical and horizontal lines. It is done accurately within one-eighth of an inch at a distance of thirty feet. While it comes with a full-time pulse mode that can be used with a detector, it stretches the laser’s working range up to an extent of 165 feet. Its clamp mount is one of its striking features that makes it easier to attach to the wall ends or tables. With a requirement of three AA batteries to draw power, Dewalt laser level DW088K is a masterpiece for any type of construction work.
Features and Specifications:
- A crisscross of bright horizontal and vertical lines are projected for diverse layout and leveling applications.
- Gives an accuracy of +/-1/4” at 100, which in other words is exceptional in comparison to other laser levels.
- Holds the ability to extend up to a massive range of 165 feet
- Provides light that is quite visible for working applications
- Powered by two AA batteries for drawing sufficient power for the day
- Holds a visibility range of up to 50 feet
- Compact in size as it measures 45 x 4.5 x 9.25 inches
- Suited for handling all types of construction jobs owing to its mount clamp
- High on durability as it is made of premium quality materials
- Very easy to use as it contains no complicated functions
- Works well for residential purposes
- Fails to lock the laser beam in a fixed position
- Visibility of the red light is weak, especially when there is sunlight
DEWALT DW089K Self-Leveling 3-Beam Line Laser
Windows and door installation do not necessarily need to be time-consuming, and with Dewalt laser level DW089K, this is going to be a reality. With a promise to deliver unquestionable productivity, this high-quality laser level will transform you into an efficient worker at your construction site. Although it is a great tool for veteran workers, amateurs will also be able to accomplish all tasks without wasting time or committing big errors. Even if you are assigned to big installation projects, presenting accurate layouts will be a child’s play. Equipped with a high visibility range along with a magnetic pivot base, this advanced laser level is quite sturdy and will let you customize the 90-degree layout lines in no time. Dewalt DW089K, in other words, fully deserves for serving lifelong assistance to construction workers.
Features and Specifications:
- Assists in producing 90-degree layout owing to its 3-beam line laser
- Easy to mount on metal surfaces for its magnetic pivot bracket built-in
- Operates on the basis of a single button that makes it easier to use
- Powered by four AA batteries that give it a run time of thirty long hours
- Accurately aligns 90-degree intersecting lines at greater distances for its micro adjust knob
- The working range, as well as that with detector, are 165 feet
- Holds a visible range of up to 50 feet
- Laser lines are highly visible with its two times brighter diode
- Very easy to operate and has no complicated functions due to its 1-button operation
- Works best for installing chair rails, cabinets, windows and drop ceilings
- Price is not worth its functions and usability
- Quite difficult to get attached to a story pole
PLS180 Red Cross Line Laser Level
One of the biggest challenges faced by professional carpenters as well as construction site workers is getting the accurate measurements. Even if the measurements are accurate, it takes a lot of time and effort. With the PLS180 from Pacific Laser Systems, users will not only be able to save a huge amount of time but also deliver both horizontal and vertical layouts effortlessly. Weighing only 1.7 pounds, it has a super compact design and will, therefore, keep users at ease while working. Designed for creating crystal clear laser lines, it would work wonders for both level and plumb applications. Moreover, what can be worthier than this PLS180 laser level that has a working range of 200 feet at the outdoors? Affordable and user-friendly, PLS180 is just brilliant.
Features and Specifications:
- Has the ability to project vertical, horizontal and cross beams having 180-degree coverage
- Interior range measures up to 100 feet while outdoor range goes up to 200 feet
- Delivers an accuracy of ±1/8-inch at a range of 30 feet
- Designed to accomplish all types of layout tasks and that also in quick time
- Uses a couple of highly visible beams that can be used together or separately
- It has a total operating time of over 35 hours
- Measures 3.5 inch x 2.25 inch x 3.6 inch (L x W x H)
- Takes no time at all to set it up
- Has the ability to install a series of cabinets with accurate measurements
- Light in weight and quite useful for all sorts of indoor projects
- Delivers crisp and clear laser lines
- Plumbline often does not work in all settings
- Does not shoot square corners
- Line is barely visible
Related Links: Want To Know About Laser Level for Deck Building
Compact Self-Leveling Cross Line Laser with Clamp
What about opting for a self-leveling cross line laser that comes with a customizable mounting clamp? Take a look at this model from the house of Hammerhead that will now project all sorts of lines, including vertical, horizontal and cross onto straight surfaces with a precision of ¼ feet at 30 feet. What makes this laser level stand out from others is its ability to project lines that are not plumb or level. If you are assigned to such relevant projects, this high-tech device is certainly going to prove more versatile. Therefore, it is any day worthier for its clamp that can be attached easily to varying surfaces.
Features and Specifications:
- Comes with a sturdy clamp attachment that involves no troubles in its set-up
- Projects vertical, horizontal and cross lines at 30 feet with an accuracy of ¼ inch
- Can be manually positioned for enhanced versatility for projecting lines that are not plumb or level
- The clamp included is not only sturdy but can also attach easily to different surfaces
- Can be mounted with no hassles on a ¼ inch threaded tripod screw
- Very compact in size and can be stored taking minimal space
- Measures 8.87 x 6.77 x 3.74 Inches as its dimensions
- Can be easily positioned to project lines due to its lock manual mode
- Runs on 2 AA batteries that give it enough power to stay active throughout the day
- Extremely light in weight and is therefore quite portable
- Laser lines not as bright as expected
- Level not up to the mark
- Laser lines get projected at a limited angle
BOSCH GTL3 PROFESSIONAL TILE LASER
Wall and floor covering will now emerge to be one of the world’s easiest and hassle-free jobs with Bosch GTL3. This advanced tile laser is simply brilliant with its power to project bright laser lines. Users can, therefore, be happy about the fact that those laser lines will be seen clean and clear on the work as well as on the adjacent surfaces. Moreover, the positioning of square tiles will never seem to be a challenging task owing to its 45-degree line that is switchable. Bosch laser level GTL3 is also profitable in the aspect of safety as it is not only waterproof but also dustproof.
Features and Specifications:
- High on sturdiness and extremely durable for being made of premium quality plastic with overmold
- Supports versatile tool positioning for having its steel positioning plate
- Laser lines are able to pass through uneven surfaces for having elevated laser beams
- Supports a magnet attachment that enables secure plate positioning
- Can easily project 0° and 90° lines along with optional layout line at 45°
- Requires a minimum of 1.5V and runs on 4 AA batteries that result in enough power
- Has dimensions of 6.125-inch x 4-inch x 3.875 inch
- Light in weight as it weighs only 0.9 lbs
- Delivers a brilliant accuracy rate of 0.2 mm/m
- Compact in size and hence becomes easier to store
- Laser lines are quite visible and best for indoor use
- Shuts down automatically for low battery consumption
- Apart from flooring, it doesn’t prove worthy in case of other applications
- On/Off button turns ineffective after multiple uses
DEWALT DW089LG 12V MAX 3 X 360 LINE LASER, GREEN
Now convert all your rough and tough jobs into easy-to-handle ones with the help of Dewalt DW089LG. Equipped with green laser beam technology, it comes with an integrated magnetic bracket supported by 5/8-inch as well as ¼ inch thread. What makes it a powerhouse is its 12V Li-on battery that is absolutely rechargeable. Being resistant to both water and debris, it promises safety to its users due to the over-molded body and IP65. For having a full-time pulse mode, it has an extended range and enables high visibility. Thanks to its locking pendulum that keeps it completely safeguarded against its internal components. Dewalt DW089LG is equivalent to value for money and can always be considered for professional floor and wall covering jobs.
Features and Specifications:
- Equipped with green beam laser technology that makes it stand out among other laser levels
- Powered by a 12V rechargeable battery that gives it enough power to run diverse applications
- Makes it easier to give full room layout with the help of its 360-degree line laser
- Helps it to use with a detector for its full-time pulse mode
- Laser light produced is extremely bright and visible
- Highly resistant to water as well as debris
- Internal components stay safe due to its locking pendulum
- Extremely portable as it is light in weight with super compact dimensions
- Green beam laser technology doubles the visibility of the laser lines that become easier for one to work with
- Has an impressive indoor visibility range of up to 100 feet
- Vertical lines are hard to detect
- Lasers have not been calibrated with precision
- Poor for functioning at outdoors
BOSCH GLL 2 SELF-LEVELING CROSS-LINE LASER LEVEL WITH MOUNT
With time, laser levels have become so technologically enriched that users are eyeing for those that can let them switch between different line modes. Bosch GLL2 is incredible in this respect and can even project two lines either together or independently for different level and alignment applications. Being user-friendly, it features a one-button operation that lets one choose between vertical, horizontal and cross lines. As it comes with a flexible mounting device, it becomes easier and faster to set up. Furthermore, its smart pendulum system helps the user to identify the out-of-level position. If you are looking for a lightweight laser level for home owners, this is it.
Features and Specifications:
- Extremely ergonomic, lightweight and compact that makes this laser level easy to store and carry as well
- Can be easily mounted on a standard tripod as it features a ¼-inch -20 tripod thread
- Equipped with a manual mode in order to lock the line and fix the level at any angle of your choice
- It has the Smart Pendulum System that is meant for self-leveling and out-of-level positioning
- Measures 3-1/8 inch x 1-5/8 inch x 3-3/4 inch
- Requires a battery voltage of 1.5 and runs on two AA batteries
- Very easy to use and involves no complications for the user
- Delivers a brilliant level of accuracy
- Ideal for handling diverse applications and extremely versatile
- Easy to set up with its clamp mount that takes no time at all
- Locking ability is not good and consistent
- Stops working effectively after a few uses
- Not too good for outdoors
TYPES OF LASER LEVEL
If you have got a fair idea of what a laser level does and how it helps you in setting the right alignment on the walls or the floor, it’s time for you to choose the right one. However, what you must first ensure is whether the laser level you are going to choose will meet your purpose. Since there are different types of best quality laser levels meant for diverse purposes, you must choose the right model for the right purpose. So, let’s have a look at the different types of laser levels:
- Dot laser levels:
With the help of a dot laser level, a simple point can be projected, which can be either square, level or plumb. However, dot lasers can be used for both indoor and outdoor purposes. Remember, the dot lasers meant for outdoor projects are more expensive in comparison to those suitable for indoor projects.
- Point generators:
If you are looking for the most basic laser level, it is none other than a point generator. With these point generators, a laser dot is shot and a line generator is incorporated, which flips down by facing the beam. Point generators are the simplest and involve the easiest of operations.
Popular among the laser levels, these are designed to project a rotating dot that results in the creation of a 360-degree With a detector, the laser lines become easier to read across a long distance. Remember, the majority of rotary laser level have single line generators along with plumb up and down capabilities. So, if you are assigned projects like road grading or plumbing where you need to lay pipes, rotating laser levels would be an ideal choice. In fact, these are counted among the most expensive laser levels since the accuracy they provide leaves no question. For any kind of foundation work, you might have to choose a big-sized model that needs to be mounted on a tripod. Although rotary laser levels are a bit pricey, you will be the most satisfied user at the end of the day.
- Line laser levels:
Technology no doubt rules with these new-age laser level as you will now be able to shoot both vertical and horizontal laser lines. This will be done by utilizing several LED diodes across a distance of 65 to 100 feet. Like a rotary laser level, it has both plumb up and down capabilities. But the only difference is that it has been designed for indoor purposes. If you consider the most advanced ones, some of them will be equipped with a pulsating light technology. This usually takes help of a light detector that will be useful for both indoor and outdoor purposes.
Now that you have come to know about the different types of laser levels, it would be easier for you to choose the one as per your purpose. Pick the right type and get all your wall work done in a jiffy.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING THE BEST LASER LEVEL
If you have got new bedroom walls to beautify, won’t you yearn for some picture frames to be put up in the right alignment? The setting needs to look perfect and you can’t think of messing it up with wrong measurements. Even if you come up with a leveler, do you think you can draw an exact check line across the wall? Well, it’s difficult and even if you succeed, it might not be that precise while a lot of your time will go in vain. So, the best thing is to get a perfect laser level. With this technology, it will be easier, faster and more accurate to draw the perfect line across the area where you are willing to set things up.
If you are, however, new to a laser level, you need to be aware of the right model. What matters most are your requirements and of course your budget based on which you will choose the good laser level. So, here are a few things to consider while making the right choice:
- How accurate it is:
Whichever laser level you are going to choose, make sure that it has a minimum of -+3Xm. Remember, judging the accuracy of a laser level is very important. The majority of self-leveling lasers comes with a pendulum inside that allows it to detect the actual level, and believe it or not, it can be outstandingly accurate.
- How visible is the beam and how far is the range:
With a laser level, your outdoor projects are going to achieve great results, provided that its cast and range are good. Remember, if you are into outdoor projects, what needs to be considered is the difference in laser colors as well as how visible the beam is. Also, upgraded laser levels enable side by side projection of two crossbeams that work wonders for flooring.
- How durable it is:
Whenever you are going to consider a tool to be used at your construction site, make sure it is strong enough to withstand rough conditions. Similarly, a laser level needs to be quite sturdy and durable in order to stand strong in those situations. However, if you are looking for a best laser level for your construction projects, durability will not be a major concern. But it is always safer to choose one with more strength for meeting diverse requirements.
- How user-friendly it is:
As mentioned earlier, prior to buying a durable laser level, it is important that you must know your purpose and therefore, the model you will choose must be as simple as possible. Although it’s true that the advanced ones look more tempting with plenty of modes and functions, it’s still advisable to choose ones that are easy to understand and operate.
- How efficient is the battery:
If you are choosing a laser level more for outside projects, you will have no choice other than buying one with a good battery life. The rotary laser levels in this respect provide 30 hours of usage per charge and are therefore quite efficient. This will, moreover, keep you away from the worries of looking for a charging point at your construction site for your laser level.
Finally, it’s time to keep aside those traditional tool boxes and bring home laser levels. Well, it’s not only construction jobs where accuracy holds the key but the same goes for your walls and floors at home. Just check your budget in tune with the nature of the job you are assigned into. If you are aiming to achieve perfection at work, a laser level will just do the magic. Explore the models, check their specific usages, compare one with the other and grab the one that meets all your purposes. Believe it or not, spending a little bit behind this best laser level technology will be worth every penny.
READ REVIEW MORE OTHER TOOL: